Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Catch-Up Day Post: Harvest Punch and the Trial Run of the Ghostbuster Skirt

Harvest Party Orange Spice Tea Punch

1 part ginger ale or lemon-lime soda
3 parts orange spice tea, brewed and cooled

Pour the cooled tea into a bowl or pitcher, then add soft drink slowly. Chill with ice or ice cubes made of apple or orange juice.

&hearts *~ &hearts ~* &hearts

So, I finished the skirt and discovered to my dismay that something had gone horribly wrong. When I measured it, it was the perfect length to be worn with a petticoat. Then the petticoat I was making turned out to be a hot mess. It will probably be gutted and reused in other ways later, but there's no way it's going to give any lift to a skirt. So, I dug out my senior prom petticoat, tucked it up just so, judged it to be the right amount of poofy and tried the skirt on. Somehow, it had GAINED 2-4 inches of skirt. I don't know how or why, but they were there. Now, I'm a tall girl, with a long body, a waist that nips in an inch above my navel (which I'm told isn't normal) and long legs. I probably need a longer skirt than others anyway. But this skirt reached past my knees. I wore it anyway, to see how it would behave in a public setting. It's a bit too bland right now and I'll have to fix it, but it's good for a start.

My mentor D. suggested a few things and I'm probably going to take it off the waistband, stiffen the waistband, add an overlay of orange tulle and maybe some other punky accents (safety pin card symbols, a gray patch pocket, etc.). I considered making a pleated wrap skirt as per one suggestion, but that's been a nightmare to plot out so, probably not. I'm going to take a few inches off and lengthen the ruffle, at least, and see how that hangs.

No comments:

Post a Comment