Thursday, December 9, 2010

An apology and a review

Dear Readers,

I'm so very sorry I haven't posted recently. I've been ridiculously busy and yo-yo-ing up and down the ladder of moods. But, I felt the need to post something today, what with the Winter holidays creeping closer and closer (or having already happened or in progress, as per your faith).

I've recently rediscovered PBS historical reality shows (Manor House, Frontier House, etc.). My mother and I enjoyed these immensely when we lived together, but we were often so busy, we didn't have time to watch them. So, it's no surprise I missed out on Regency House Party.

The show takes five eligible bachelors, five eligible bachelorettes, and five respectable older ladies, and sticks them in a Regency manor for nine weeks to court, flirt, and try to live as Jane Austen's contemporaries would have. Everything is set up to be as accurate as possible, right down to who bathes when. Everybody gets a background equivalent to what they would have had in the time period, from the actual Russian countess (I think she's a real countess, don't quote me, that part's a little fuzzy) and the dashing naval captain, to the poor clergyman and the lady's companion, who are actually a teacher and a university student, to the industrial heiress and the celebrity hair stylist. Right out of the gate, though, we are reminded that this isn't 1811 and these are adults of the 21st century. The heiress insults the hostess, the boys are too crocked to greet the heiress her first night and the lady's companion and the naval captain shock everybody by falling in love and getting engaged. But, it's all ridiculously charming and I highly recommend it if you love Austen and comedies of manners!

Now, hopefully, I'll have some pictures up soon of my first presentable Lolita project, as well as preparations to do a Spoonflower review!

Until next time, this is Brenna, wishing you lots of luck, love and living space! Remember, I'm no expert, I'm learning as I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment